Bucket names in Remotion Lambda
A Remotion Lambda bucket names (for example
remotionlambda-apsouth1-3ysk0nyazp) has two special attributes:
It is not recommended to use a custom bucket name because it requires changing your policies and passing the bucket name explicitly to all APIs.
Using a different bucket name
By using a custom bucket name, . Ensure you are passing the bucket name explicitly to all APIs, especially to those for which the bucket name is optional. Also ensure that you the Lambda and S3 buckets ar
To use a custom bucket name, you need to:
- Manually create a bucket in AWS yourself
- Change the policies created by Remotion Lambda to change the
remotionlambda-prefix. This prefix is used to exlude non-Remotion buckets from being able to be accessed by credentials supposed for Remotion.
- Pass the bucket name explicitly to:
npx remotion lambda render
npx remotion lambda still
npx remotion lambda compositions
npx remotion lambda sites create
npx remotion lambda sites rm
npx remotion lambda sites rmallusing the
- Be aware that the following APIs are unavailable when using custom bucket names:
- Be aware that you are opting out of automatic bucket discovery and validation. Be careful to:
- Ensure that you are passing valid bucket names to all APIs, especially to those for which the bucket name is optional.
- Ensure that the buckets and Lambda functions that are interacting with each other are in the same region.
AWS Region in the name
The buckets contain the region in their name (for example
remotionlambda-apsouth1-3ysk0nyazp). This is because when the list of AWS buckets is obtained through the AWS API, the region is not included in the response.
If the region is not in the bucket name, it needs to be queried for each bucket, which requires extra API calls and slows down the render.
If you set up your buckets with a Remotion version before December 2022, you have bucket names that do not include the region in their name (for example
remotionlambda-0if1fa0wy0). By renaming the buckets, you can speed up render and reduce API calls, especially if you have a lot of Remotion buckets across regions.